The Red Lion Inn

The Red Lion Hotel was founded as priory in the 13th Century by an order of the Carmelites. The exquisite beams, were hand carved by the monks, and are still as strong today as they were over eight hundred years ago, and are some of their finest examples of their kind still in exsistence.  http://www.trlh.co.uk/
 
Over the years the priory was used by travellers as a welcome rest inn.
Even by King James 1st  when taken ill on a journey from Newmarket in 1619. 
 
 
 
 
 
Duxford Chapel Which Originally formed part of the hotel and was built around the same time, sits in the hotel grounds. It served as a hospital for the poor and travellers, Mass was sung there until 1547.
English Heritage now manages the chapel.
 
The Red Lion Hotel has been a family run business since the early 80's by the Gregorios-Pippas family.
 
The Red Lion has recently had a new 70 bedroom Holiday Inn Express built within the grounds of the Original Hotel.
 
The Hotel sits along side Whittlesford Parkway Railway Station which provides a main line rail service from Cambridge to London Liverpool St.
 
The Hotel is located on the A505  just off junction 10 of the M11 and sits on the outskirts of Whittlesford / Duxford.